The successful candidate will provide leadership and coordination of company financial planning, accounting, reporting, and cash management. He/She will ensure company accounting procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles and tax reporting requirements. It is important candidates for this position are open communicators, and can cultivate an environment supporting teamwork, continuous improvement and innovation while maintaining high departmental performance. The Controller reports directly to ownership. This is a career path for a qualified individual to grow into CFO position over time.
- Manage/participate in all accounting and financial functions.
- Oversee accounting activity in multiple companies and related intercompany transactions.
- Lead month-end close process and balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries, review monthly general ledger transactions, and record revenue and/or expense accruals as needed monthly.
- Manage fixed asset records.
- Manage cash flow.
- Direct and coordinate all internal and external financial reporting: daily-weekly-monthly operating and cash flow reporting, job profit reporting, ad hoc reporting, and monthly and annual financial statements.
- Manage Company’s internal control systems and perform routine, periodic reviews.
- Assist management in developing key performance indicators (KPI) for the business and report KPIs and variance analysis routinely.
- Oversee project risk management, specifically with subcontractors, review contract amounts, manage the collection of payment verification/lien documentation and proper insurance requirements to mitigate risks, exposures, etc.
- Direct and coordinate essential reporting to all required Federal, state, and local government entities, including DOL and DOT requirements.
- Direct and coordinate annual Federal, state, and local tax filings with an outside CPA firm
- Coordinate debt financing needs with management and debt service payments with lenders, including monitoring compliance with loan terms.
- Work with a variety of vendors including accountants, insurance companies, banks, and lenders, vehicle and equipment, suppliers, legal, etc.
- Manage a team of five (5) accounting staff, including training and mentoring staff.
- Maintain departmental processes with the goal of consistently improving efficiencies.
- Provide company leadership with strong accounting analysis to assist in business strategy and decision-making.
- Administer select Human Resource functions such as benefit programs, payroll (prepare bi-weekly payroll, and related withholding deposits and quarterly payroll tax returns), workmen’s compensation, and unemployment.
- Assist in Company’s 401k plan administration, including coordinating annual audit with CPA firm.
- Assist management with insurance and risk management programs.
- Direct and manage company IT functions as it relates to the accounting department.
- Direct installation of ERP system upgrade or new system along with other periodic changes in the Company’s software suite.
- Creating management dashboard reports and the necessary data streams to feed management information needs.
- Analyze financial performance and make recommendations to maximize company ROI.
- Undergraduate accounting degree and seven (7) to 10 years professional level accounting experience with a significant portion of that experience in the construction and/or service industry.
- CPA or other professional designations or other specific industry designations or experience preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in a Controller or CFO position.
- Previous experience supervising employees and interacting with multiple departments with the ability to train and develop personnel.
- Process-oriented with the ability to document procedures and work performed.
- Experience with choosing and/or installing key accounting software programs such as ERP systems and/or industry-specific software.
- Excellent technology skills in, at minimum, the following areas: advanced Excel skills, data analytics, and modeling, ERP systems, and the ability to quickly learn software systems, cloud-based computing. Prior experience with Sage construction software preferred but not required.
- Ability to perform day-to-day network and IT troubleshooting matters in conjunction with an outside IT consulting firm.
- Strict attention to detail and ability to work accurately
- Ability to monitor multiple items and follow-up as needed
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent task management and follow-up skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Results and action-oriented
- Profit-driven – seeks ways to cut costs and improve efficiency
- Effective problem-solving skills, ability to handle adversity
- Performs and demands excellent quality in work
- Service and teamwork-oriented
- Customer-centered and focused
- Focus on learning and self-development
- Technically competent and skilled
- Flexibility in working with a dynamic environment.
Epic Landscape Productions L.C is the leading landscape maintenance and landscape contracting company in the Kansas City metro area. Celebrating its 30th year in business! Epic provides landscape design-build and landscape maintenance services for 3 offices throughout this region. Visit our website at www.epicland.net.
Epic Landscape Productions is an Equal Opportunity Employer